Friday 6 December 2019

APPLICATION FOR A JOB

Some years ago, I worked in a Business College as the teacher of Business English. I taught writing skills and gave the students a model letter of application.

It was a very polished letter in which the applicant gave a summary of their achievements from prefect at school, member of a sporting club and church youth leader.

I had them write about themselves in a factual and modest way. " I see in myself the capacity to work hard as the member of a team and complete work on time as required.  I believe that I would be respected by fellow employees and clients for an honest, friendly and helpful approach".

Some weeks later, two students withdrew from the course. The foolish dean of studies claimed it was because I was a rotten teacher.

I met one of the young men down town and asked why he left. He said that he and his friend applied for a job using my letter format and both were successful. So they left. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment