Wednesday 4 December 2019

EDUCATION GETS PHONICS WRONG

For so many years, PNG education has lurched from error to error in teaching literacy. They relied on foolish expatriates.

The greatest error occurred 30 years ago with vernacular language pushed on to Education by amateur linguist Professor Tom Dutton of Australian National University and the Summer Institute of Linguistics. 

Most problems arose from that time. I was at the conference at Divine Word University in 1989 and objected to the focus on vernacular but was ignored by so-called experts in linguistics. They had their own half-baked hidden agenda. I represented the RAAF School of Languages.

I told them students had enough problems learning English without being confused and diverted into vernacular. Somehow, vernacular was pushed into the Department of Education with resultant chaos over the next 20 years. My view was correct.

Teaching of phonics died in the 1960s when foolish US teachers decided that memorization was an inferior way to learn. All memorization died with multiplication tables, songs, poems and nursery rhymes no longer chanted in class. Education lost its soul.

Rhyme and rhythm helped students put sentences together joined by weak stresses - and, to, but, with, from, up and down. Students went from simple to complex, part to whole and known to unknown. 

From the beginning students would learn the letters of the alphabet. They would recognize each individual letter and chant sequences as we came to know on TV Sesame street.

a b c d e f g
h i j k l m n o p

Then they would put small similar words together using the sounds of the alphabet.

man, can, ran, fan.
mat , cat, rat, sat, fat, bat, hat,
ball, call, tall, fall,
sun, bun, gun, run.

All the while, they would be chanting nursery rhymes and taking in the weak and strong stresses. Within 6 months, they would recognize 300-500 words connected by weak stresses !! 

They learn the words they already know and put patterns together that they will use as the basis of sentences for the rest of their lives.

The teacher can put silly sentences together using the small words already chanted. Students drill connector words that form part of every sentence.

The fat cat sat on the mat with the rat.
The rat sat in the hat.
The man ran with the can in his hand.

Then the students can chant patterns they already know.

Jack and Jill went up the hill.
Mary had a little lamb.
Little Jack Horner sat in the corner. 
Wee Willy Winkie runs through the town.
Oh arise all ye sons of this land. (apologies to daughters)
Let us sing of a joy to be free.

Appreciation of rhythm and rhythm went through to grade 12 with words derived from Latin. Most words consisted of prefix (weak) root (strong) and suffix (weak).

in-tro-duc- tion
man-u-fac-ture
re-fe-ree

Two years ago, I conducted Rhythm Phonics workshops for 800 primary and elementary teachers in Lae. They loved it but were disappointed that I was unable to be employed to go from school to school over a year.

The workshops were organized by Mr Jiram (Secretary) and Mr  Tangui (Senior inspector). The groups of teachers were told that I was the top teacher of English in the province. At least my work gave consultancy Bilum Books the guidance to move away from squiggle phonics.

Now I am in Port Moresby and ready to unleash Rhythm Phonics on primary and elementary teachers in the capital city.

I go
I go
I go to town
I go to town
I go to buy some food
I go to buy some food
I go to school
I go to school
I go to learn to read and write
I go to learn to read and write
I go to bed
I go to bed
I go to bed to sleep at night
I go to bed to sleep at night
I wake up in the morning light
I wake up in the morning light.

Elementary students could chant this from memory within a week before moving on to 30 more groups of patterns. 

At the end of two months, they knew the basics of simple words and rhythm sentences. We explored all the words they might know. They chant and clap to each sentence.

I was born in Bu-ka-vu
I go to school in E-ri-ku.

My parents live in Bu-ti-bam.
I am in grade 2.

The process of sounding words squiggle squiggle is far inferior. It does not prepare students to appreciate the rhythm and rhyme of English.

I recall every song and poem I ever learned from childhood. I learned the rhythm and rhyme and never forgot as school children will do if they go back to chanting poems, nursery rhymes and songs.

My father was a Queensland drover and would tell me bush poems when I was 6 years old. I have never forgotten 67 years later.

Lost

He ought to be back said the old man
unless there is something amiss.
He only went to the two mile 
and he ought to be back by this.

He would ride that reckless filly

He would have his wilful way.
And now he's not back by sundown
and what will his mother say?

......... 15 more verses.

Not bad for a 6 year old. Every other student who learns poems, songs and books by heart will have a life long knowledge of sweet English.

No comments:

Post a Comment