Wednesday 25 March 2020

VENTILATORS AND RESPIRATORY INFECTION

For the want of a nail, a shoe was lost. For the want of a shoe, a horse was lost. For the want of a horse, a soldier was lost. For the want of a soldier, a war was lost. For the want of ventilators, loved-ones were lost.

We hear on the news that the world has a shortage of ventilators that may be contributing to the deaths of coronavirus victims. 

I assume that ventilators help people with respiratory failure by forcing air and oxygen into their lungs.

We can all suffer from lung failure with intra-pulmonary tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS and coronavirus. All can cause a build up of mucus in the lungs that blocks passage of oxygen and carbon dioxide, weakens the immune system and causes pneumonia, tissue and organ failure. 

All can end in death. All can produce mucus in the nose and constant cough. Tuberculosis and coronavirus have the virus travelling in the mucus and infect other people directly through droplets or external contamination. Tuberculosis can be caused through betel nut spitting.

Several years ago I suffered from intra-pulmonary tuberculosis. I could not breathe and feared that I was going to die of suffocation. The infection was in my lungs.

I took an electric  fan, opened my mouth and let the fan push air into my lungs. I could breathe !!  My neighbour drove me to the hospital and I sat with my head out the passenger window and my mouth open.

Surely we can find a replacement for a ventilator in the short term. This is only a stop gap method until proper hospital equipment is available. Many people are dying with no access. 

There are reports that there are not enough ventilators in US hospitals. Doctors are forced to choose who lives and who dies. Perhaps a portable air conditioner or hair dryer may do the trick. A little creative initiative is called for here.

There was a report in the Post Courier 26 March P.28 of an Italian priest given a respirator by parishioners who gave it to a young boy in the next bed. 

The priest then died !! Greater love hath no man than he laid down his life for a stranger. Parishioners cheered his coffin as it went past their balconies.

HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis can be deadly pre-existing infections. Those living with HIV and taking ART medication need to consult a doctor on whether or not they are still vulnerable. So too with those on tuberculosis medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment