Wednesday 24 February 2021

MS BETHA PAINARI SOMARE

I feel as if I have known the Somare family for over half my life. In 1978, I returned from a posting as an Australian Army officer at the Joint Services College of PNG at Igam Barracks.

In 1979, I was posted to the then RAAF School of Languages at Point Cook to conduct classes in Tok Pisin and PNG culture for Defence force and Foreign Affairs personnel, wives and sometimes children.

I used to cut small stories from Wantok newspaper. The first was about Ms Betha Somare and family. It was an exercise that I used for 30 classes over many years. 

Over the years, I knew the story off by heart and still recall the basics 40 years later. It was the first experience of the classes in simple Tok Pisin.

BETHA SOMARE

Poto i soim Ms Betha Painari Somare. Em i nambawan pikinini bilong Praim Minista na i gat 12 pela krismas. Em i gat 4pela bratasusa.

Betha i go skul long Lismore long New South Wales.

Maski em i stap longwe long famili. Em i save raitim planti pas i go long mama bilong em. Mama i save raitin planti pas i go long Betha.

Ol wanskul i laikim Betha. 

Best wishes to the Somare family at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment