Saturday 23 January 2021

KOKODA - HEY, GET BACK HERE

Some years ago when I was younger, I was a team leader on the Kokoda Track. At one time, I walked the track 4 times in one month.

On one trek, I had not met the leading guide who led the trek over the track. On the first break at the top of Imita Ridge, I decided to speak to him but could not find him.

I walked to the head of the trek but he was not there and continued walking.

Suddenly there was a loud whistle behind me and a voice calling out "Hey get back here.".

It was the head guide. He was telling me the rule that no-one gets ahead of the head guide. I walked back feeling a little foolish even though I was the team leader. But there was a basic lesson here.

There are two key rules on the track. Do not get ahead of the head guide. Do not get behind the sweeper at the back.

At times, it may be unavoidable. But a porter or two could wait with any person who is incapacitated. Let us hope a helicopter evacuation has been arranged for an injured person. Even then there is risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment