Friday 22 November 2019

MY BEAUTIFUL ELDER DAUGHTER

I have two daughters whom I have looked after as a single parent all their lives when their mother left us. They have given me both joy and heart ache. 

An expatriate father looking after two mixed race daughters is not an easy task. Both preferred to be down the street with their girl friends than staying at home with their dad.

Both are growing into quality women aged 22 and 21 years. They are tall like their dad, white skin and straight hair. Both speak immaculate English that their father started teaching them as small girls. Both speak bush kanaka Tok Pisin as well.

My elder ended up with a man at a time when I was in ICU at Port Moresby Hospital. He took her home, gave her two sons and died. I no longer complain as he has left shares in his hotel to her and sons.

Both daughters have children. My younger has a two year old beautiful little boy who looks like his grand-dad. Who can complain?

Both daughters are slowly moving from a tear away life to the life of loving mothers who have made their dad a baby sitter. 

I taught both to read and write before they went to school. I trekked the Kokoda Track to earn enough money to send them to International School for two years before I stopped trekking after falling down a cliff.

Now I see my elder daughter teaching her sons to talk. She uses a mixture of English and Tok Pisin. But they are having conversations with their grand-dad. 

Both sons lie beside her at night and watch cartoons on her cell phone before going to sleep. She is teaching them to talk. Both sit on her legs and she lifts them up as they count to ten. 

Last night, the three year old grand-son was sitting with me and saying that a policeman was going to come on a motor bike and shoot me. He was talking complete rubbish in perfect English. He could not put a sentence together six months ago.

I have written on this website before how my elder daughter used to give me a gift on Mother's and Father's Day. 

I still have the large beach towel she gave me when she was 15 years old. She said I was her mother and father. 

We are adjusting to the reality that she now goes out and comes back when she likes without telling her dad. Her little sister is the same. And she smokes. It does not stop me from worrying where they are. I live with my first daughter in the apartment left to her.


I can see that three grand-sons are going to become quality young men. I hope I live that long. Our only enemy is predator lesbian Elizabeth Cox who wanted to break up our family. 

How on earth did she come to become the AusAID Care and Counselling officer in the PNG National HIV/AIDS campaign?

No comments:

Post a Comment