Wednesday 26 February 2020

A NICE OLD WHITE MAN

Nobody but the foreign paedophiles accused me of being violent and abusive. Teachers and students would say I was friendly and professional.

I am 73 years old and spend much time out of the house where my widowed daughter lives with her two sons. Each day I come to the local business centre to add a report to this website.

I have experienced an interesting incident every week or two. I do not drive a car any more and am always offered a seat on the local public transport.

Last week I caught a public motor vehicle (PMV) to Gordons and then had to walk about a kilometer to the PMV to Waigani. 

A lady came up to me and asked where I was going. She turned, hailed a taxi and gave the driver 5 kina to take this whiteman to PMV 7.

Yesterday, a lady stopped me in the street and gave me K10. I used to be a little embarrassed that such people might think I am a poor old white man. I am not.

But these days I smile, thank them profusely and accept their kindness. I do not want to offend their good will. 

The week before a young lady came to my table at a food bar and gave me a can of drink and a packet of chips. What could I say except thank you?

I asked a friend why this happens. She said the old lady down the street is always being stopped in the street and given K10. She said it is all to do with her white hair. That may be the key to the generosity to me.

Sometimes I think that these people are ex-students from times past. In the last year, I met two ex-students in Lae. One was a teacher of grade 9-12 English. 

The other was a senior lecturer in English at Balob Teachers' College. They use my techniques in Writing Skills.

I have the reputation in this country of being the cross between a comedian and a cranky old buggar

I regularly generate laughter in PMVs by berating the boskru (conductor) for overcharging. 

I regularly tell him "In your dreams mate".  Laughter from the passengers. "He is a PNG white man".


Most teachers in schools tend to think I am a comedian teacher in the staff room. I turn arguments into fun. I lift the standards of writing skills.

"The trouble with you blackfellas is that .....". They are not offended but think it is funny. I bear no ill will to any teacher and they know it. I am on the side of PNG.

No comments:

Post a Comment