Wednesday 9 September 2020

AUSTRALIAN MILITARY IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA

I retired from the Australian Army in 1992. In 1976, I was posted to the Joint Services College at Igam Barracks as a Training Officer. 

I learned so much about PNG culture and was in many ways unhappy with the working relationship between Australian and PNGDF officers. Australian NCOs generally worked well with PNGDF officers.

On return to Australia, I was posted to the RAAF School of Languages to conduct courses to prepare Australian defence personnel and families for service with the PNGDF. 

I taught Tok Pisin and culture and advised over 4 weeks on how to work with the PNGDF. There were about 4000 military personnel who came on course prior to short term and long term postings.

I had always been critical of Training of the PNGDF at the hands of Australians. The Australian Army had introduced the Army Training System (ATS) that had its place but not to teach soldiers to think through problems. It was simple minded for simple minded instructors.

Infantry officers claimed soldiers were to do as they were told not to think. That is partly true. I was critical of training of PNGDF soldiers in Australian Corps Schools. 

Far too many PNGDF apprentices found difficulty with technical text books and technical jargon. They were trained to repair aircraft engines, telecommunication systems and more. The PNG apprentices needed to be taught to think and plan.

I wrote several articles in the Defence Force Journal on Mastery Learning until the Defence Force gave me the job to conduct training familiarization in Defence Schools on the needs of foreign students. 

I was awarded the PNG 10 Year Independence medal for services to PNG - seven years after leaving the country.

I had produced a Mastery Learning program at the Joint Services College much to the scorn of simple minded  infantry officers. They were experts in "monkey see - monkey do". Cadets called me "Captain Double Check".

Through 80 categorized problems, cadets practised basic checking, double-checking and planning exercises. 

One former cadet Commodore Murphy Kila told me about 6 years ago that my mastery exercises in checking and double-checking were all he could still remember of College training 40 years later. 

I trained students never to forget. Murphy is now retired with a fish farm at Taurama. Check those fish Murph.

I am at present helping a PNG school with Mastery Learning of Rhythm Phonics. Students will remember all their lives. 

I developed Positive Living with HIV/AIDS using the same approach. Readers will never forget.

FAITH, HOPE, PEACE, LOVE, FAMILY, FRIENDS, WORK, SLEEP, EXERCISE, NUTRITION, FRUIT AND VEGETABLES.

It was the best years of my work career. The 1980s was the decade in which the Australian commitment to the PNGDF was maximized. On only two occasions in 14 years, I recommended an Australian soldier not be posted for racist attitudes.

The Department of Foreign Affairs sent officers to train and this was most pleasing as most foreign affairs officers were good people. Relations dropped with RAAF Point Cook when the headquarters would not allow gay and lesbian foreign affairs couples to share a room in the mess.

At the point that I was to retire, the Defence Force could not find a replacement. I visited PNG and met an NCO would wanted to take my place. He moved to Point Cook and by all reports did a good job. An officer was usually deployed in this position.

But it came out later that he was a predator paedophile in PNG. I had visited his quarter in Port Moresby but never suspected his dread secret. I blame myself but do not know how I would have found out. Colin slipped under the radar. He was removed.

There was a very positive relationship between many Australian soldiers and the PNGDF. I hope it was due in part to the briefings before they took up their positions in country.

Now we read a report of an Australian officer  facing charges of indecency and bringing discredit to the Australian Defence Force. He was alleged to have sexually harrassed a PNGDF female medical officer.

It is difficult to understand how an officer of the ADF could conduct himself in such a foolish way. I worked for 14 years briefing the ADF officers and soldiers on proper conduct and attitudes. 

This officer had slipped through the present net. I hope he is the exception rather than the rule. He has been found guilty.

Before posting to the PNGDF, officers and soldiers had to pass a racial attitude test. It is a pity that the HIV/AIDS advisers to AusAID were never tested for their racist and negative sexual attitudes. 

I found myself the target of a hate campaign. That was a shock to the system after all those years in promoting positive relations between Australia and Papua New Guinea. The hate campaign failed badly.

If the Commander of the PNGDF wanted an Australian service member sent back to Australia for misconduct, it would happen. 

If the Director of the National Aids Council wanted an Australian advisor removed, the Director would be deprived of AusAID funding and black-banned. The advisor would stay. That is the difference. Many Australian AIDS advisors were corrupt.

Major Bruce Copeland
Australian Army (retired)

No comments:

Post a Comment