Thursday 17 September 2020

VALE NAHAU ROONEY

The nation has lost Nahau Rooney, a key female activist from the early days of independence. There is a  place for her in the PNG history book.

My first encounter was on a video of the early days that we showed to Australian defence personnel attending the RAAF School of Languages Tok Pisin courses. I think it was called " Where do we go from here? " Indeed.

There was young Nahau Rooney standing on a podium at the University of Papua New Guinea wearing the cutest mini-skirt. I saw that video at least 30 times in 14 years. 

I met Nahau many times and stopped to exchange our goings on when we passed each other at the Holiday Inn.  She smiled at the memory when I told her about the cute mini skirt.

The report in the media reminded me of her sadness in her marriage many years ago. Nahau always asked about the Positive Living message. She had a son Dr Rooney who was very friendly and supportive.

In a fledgling nation, Nahau was part of the national learning curve in her run-in with the judiciary. Still nothing ventured, nothing gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment