Sunday 22 May 2016

PHONICS FOR ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE (2)

Oracle Equipments12 May 2016 at 22:37

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks :)

Elementary to Grade 3 - simple sentence phonics in simple structures. Grade 4 - Grade 12 - simple to complex sentences in all sentence structures.

Elementary grade students learn to speak English in simple sentences. English is the official language in Papua New Guinea. For most students it is a foreign language and must be taught as a foreign language.

Most phonics programs in PNG are limited in teaching students to speak and read English. I saw a program today that focused on vowels, consonants and words. How on earth will students learn simple English? It is useful but stops short of promoting English as a foreign language.

I hope that teachers have tried the patterns in Report on Phonics as a Foreign Language (1) below. Did you have the elementary students chant each pattern twice in rhythm?

It would be good if both teachers and students chant and clap to the rhythm as they go through each sentence. Sentences are based on X/ weak strong stress. 

These patterns will take students through the systematic structures of English over weeks to come. These patterns can be on a loop and be chanted from the start again when the sequence is finished.

It is expected that the phonics will be completed with 120 sets of chanting patterns for elementary grades. Once they can read all these patterns, they can be regarded as able to read. Teachers should have the patterns on a brown paper flip chart to be chanted daily pattern by pattern. Chant and clap.

Phonics in church schools can take patterns from Scripture. There is beautiful phonic rhythm in the Bible;

Psalm 23:  The Lord is my shepherd  x/xx/x  I shall not want x/x/
Psalm 96:  Sing unto the Lord a new song. x/xx/xx/  Sing unto the Lord all the earth x/xx/xx/
        
Elementary phonics focuses on simple sentences. At higher grades we call this baby talk. At higher grades, students practise the skills of combining simple sentences into complex sentences. Baby sentences are not to be used exclusively by the higher grades.

I opened the door. I went inside. I put a letter on the table.


I opened the door, went inside and put a letter on the table.
Opening the door, I went inside and put a letter on the table

I looked out the window. I saw a ship. It was on the sea.

I looked out the window and saw a ship on the sea.
Looking out the window. I saw a ship on the sea.

He was an old man. He had a walking stick. He had a long white beard.

He was an old man with a walking stick and a long white beard.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining. The birds were singing.

It was a beautiful day with the sun shining and birds singing.


I looked out the window. I had a broad smile. I watched the boys. They
were sitting under the tree. They were eating their lunch. They were 
talking to the girls.

Looking out the window with a broad smile, I watched the boys sitting 
under the tree, eating their lunch and talking to the girls.

But let us now continue with the elementary simple sentence school chanting patterns. Students love to chant and clap the patterns in class. I am going around conducting demonstration lessons in elementary schools. 

The general view of teachers is that this program is superior in the nation. Other programs simply focus on words. Students chant patterns and learn quickly. It is all designed in weak-strong-weak-strong stress.

I will go
I will go
I will go to town
I will go to town
I will go with you
I will go with you
I will go to buy some food
I will go to buy some food
I will go into the house
I will go into the house
I will go swim in the sea
I will go swim in the sea
I will go with my friend
I will go with my friend
I will go with two of my friends
I will go with two of my friends

Will you go? 

Will you go?
Will you go with me?
Will you go with me?
Will you go to town?
Will you go to town?
Will you go to town with me?
Will you wait?
Will you wait for me?
Will you wait for me?
Will you wait in town?
Will you wait in town?
Will you come back at 4 pm
Will you come back at 4 pm?
Will you come by bus?
Will you come by bus?

I am going

I am going
I am going to town
I am going to town
I am going with you
I am going with you
I am going to buy some food
I am going to buy some food
I am going to swim
I am going to swim
I am going to watch TV
I am going to watch TV
I am going to eat some food
I am going to eat some food

Do you want to come?
Do you want to come?
Do you want to come with me?
Do you want to come with me?
Do you want to go?
Do you want to go?
Do you want to go to town?
Do you want to go to town?
Do you want a cup of milk?
Do you want a cup of milk?
Do you want to sit?
Do you want to sit?
Do you want to sit with me?
Do you want to sit with me?

I think that I will go to town.
I think that I will go to town.
I think that I will stay in town
I think that I will stay in town.
I think that you should come.
I think that you should come.
I think that you should come with me
I think that you should come with me
I think that we should go to town.
I think that we should go to town.
I think that you should come back again
I think that you should come back again.

I would like to buy some food
I would like to buy some food
I would like to talk to you
I would like to talk to you
I would like to open the door
I would like to open the door
I would like to shut the door.
I would like to stay with you
I would like to stay with you
I would like to eat some food
I would like to eat some food.

Tom

My name is Tom. I am in grade 1. I go to school in Lae.
I go with my sister. School is a long way away. We go 
back home in the afternoon.

1. What is his name?

2. What grade is he in?
3. Where does he go to school?
4. Who takes him to school?
5. Is school a long way away?
6. When do they go back home?

Mary

My name is Mary. I live in a village near Lae. I am 9 years old.
I do not go to school. My parents do not have money for school
fees. School is far away. I help my mother each day.

1. What is her name?
2. Where does she live?
3. How old is she?
4. Does Mary go to school ?
5. Why doe she not go to school?
6. Is school near the village?
7. What does Mary do each day?

Students in elementary grades will respond to the simple rhythm of these patterns particularly if the teacher has placed these on a brown paper flip chart. These can be chanted daily until known thoroughly.

These exercises will take young children through the sequence of simple sentence patterns that make up the English language. 

A problem in many phonics programs is that the designer had no idea of the sequence of simple sentence patterns. Phonics is more than just teaching words particularly when students are learning English as a foreign language.


Bruce Copeland BA BEdSt
Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (Cambridge)
Tutor in Tok Pisin - RAAF School of Languages Pt Cook Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment