Thursday 21 March 2013

MASTERY STORY PATTERNS FOR SCHOOLS

The next stage in Mastery Learning patterns consists of a series of baby talk stories that the students have to convert into complex sentences with removal of repeated words and poor use of connector words. Early exercises are teacher centred as students are guided through the work.

The basic sequences have been designed to enable the student to complete one exercise  while the teacher copies the next exercise on to the black board. Schools in PNG do not have the funds to distribute thousands of photocopied sheets of exercises to students. Please click:



He sat with his friends. He discussed the meeting.
She walked to the hospital. She hoped it would not be too late.
They lay beside the road. They waited for a PMV.
They sat under the tree. They talked about the exam. They ate their lunch
She heard the baby. He was crying. He was hungry.


SAMPLE STORY EXERCISE:
My name is John. I was born in a village. It was a small village. It is on the Sepik River. I live with my parents and brothers and sisters. I have two brothers and three sisters. My brothers and sisters go to a school with me. It is a community school. It is near the village. I went to high school. It is in Wewak. I graduated from grade 10. I had a distinction in Mathematics. I had credits in Science and English. I applied for a job with Steamships in Wewak. I got a job in the Steamships office. It is in Wewak.

Now highlight the repeated words:

My name is John. I was born in a village. It was a small village. It is on the Sepik River. I live with my parents and brothers and sisters. I have two brothers and three sisters. My brothers and sisters go to a school with me. It is a community school. It is near the village. I went to high school.  It is in Wewak. I graduated from grade 10. I had a distinction in Mathematics. I had credits in Science and English. I had applied for a job with Steamships in Wewak. I got a job in the Steamships office. It is in Wewak.

Rewrite the story in polished English:

My name is John. Born in a small village on the Sepik River, I live with my parents, two brothers and three sisters. We went to a small community school nearby. Attending high school in Wewak, I graduated with a distinction in Mathematics and credits in Science and English.  Having applied for a job with Steamships in Wewak, I was employed at the office in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment