Tuesday 29 March 2011

ROLE MODELS FOR FAMILIES

There are key family problems in this country. The first
is that many fathers never discuss any matter with sons.
For many it is all silence. Father becomes the negative
role model for the son who is silent to his son in later
years.

For many, there is no communication between father
and son/daughter on family values. It is a matter of do
what I do. I am off down boozing the road with my
friends. I want my dinner ready whenever I come back.
It may be the father is acting out role models he found
in his father and uncles.

We have to break the cycle even in small ways.

Some boys copy drinking and violence of their fathers
and uncles. It is common to hear young boys shouting
with deep voices just to sound grown up. They drink
home brew just to be like the big boys. They need to
see regular positive family values. There may be few
role models who will give them a lead.

Role models could be promoted in TV programs in
30 second advertisements of a single conversation.
Church of Latter Day Saints has used this technique
over the world for many years. Click below:

 

Top News; Movie News; TV News; Celebrity News; Featured
News ... Stan learns about the Mormon religion after a new
family moves to South Park from Utah. ...www.imdb.com/title
/tt0705893/ - Cached - Similar

These advertisements could be prepared by churches
or other organizations like the Department for Community
Development, Church of Latter Day Saints and Seventh
Day Adventists.

First advertisements may focus on the role of fathers
or mothers in giving values and guidance to sons or
daughters. These could be in Tok Pisin.

Father and son fix an engine and talk

Father: Hold the spanner son. Keep it tight.
Son: OK dad
Father: I see you have a new girl friend son.
Son: Yeh dad she’s cool.
Father: When are you going to bring her home?
Son: Soon dad
Father: I hope you are treating her well,
Son: Just like you look after mum.
Father: If she is good like your mum she’s OK.
Son: Yeh she is dad. I treat her well.

Mother and daughter work and talk

Mother: I am glad you are helping me.
Daughter: Anything for you mum.
Mother: How long have you been with John?
Daughter: About 2 months now.
Mother: I am glad he does not hit you.
Daughter: We make each other happy all the time.
Mother: He reminds me of your father.
Daughter: I like him as he reminds me of dad.

Father rings his daughter in town

Father: Hullo Mary is that you?
Mary: This is me dad. What’s wrong?
Father: Nothing. I just want to say hullo to you.
Mary: Thanks dad. I miss you all too.
Father: How is your study?
Mary: Great dad. Thanks for ringing.
Father: I worry about you every day.
Mary: Could you send me K3 credits?
Father: (sigh) Yes dear.

Mother talks to son

Mother: Hullo son. You are home early
Son: School finished at lunch time today, mum.
Mother: Are you hungry?
Son: Yeh mum what have you got?
Mother: Kaukau and pawpaw.
Son: Great.
Mother: As you grow, you remind me of your dad.
Son: Yeh. He eats a lot too.
Mother: No. You are kind and good like him.
Son: Thanks mum.

These could be 4 of dozens of family advertisements.
Can you recall the TV series Seventh Heaven? That
probably had an impact on many PNG people though
made in Hollywood. I often think of the Reverend in
that movie and the way he handled problems.

He becomes frustrated but is never violent nor loses
his temper. Even at my age, role models are still
relevant. My daughters frustrate with never-ending
requests for money.

Please AusAID  provide funding for TV advertisements
such as these if churches make a request. Let kind and
loving PNG families models be seen every day on TV.

The purpose of the advertisements is to show parents
who talk children with mother and father supporting
each other. That is family.

The community needs role models at all levels from
the Prime Minister to the local pastor, teacher and
policeman.

We feel betrayed to read a pastor or teacher has been
convicted of carnal knowledge or that a policeman has
bashed a person for no reason. It is worse when we hear
of our favourite football team starting a drunken brawl at
a nightclub or attacked a woman.

There are people pretending to be role models for
children. They have brought gifts of human rights.
But they also have a large Trojan horse they have
brought into the nation. They focus only on rights
with no mention of responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment