Sunday 16 October 2016

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND CHINA

J. Hudson Taylor of the China Inland Mission

In 1995, I was living in Lae when my car broke down in one of the rough areas of the town. The engine was playing up and my car kangaroo hopped up the road pursued by a gang of raskols. My family was in the front with me.

Suddenly a man called out to me to come into his yard. He had opened the gate. With great relief, I pushed the car into the yard. He was an American missionary. I thanked him profusely and his wife made us all a cup of tea.

He had a book on a small table For the Love of God and China. I opened the book and read a few paragraphs. I told the missionary that it was a very lovely book written in poorly drafted English. 

To thank him for helping us, I offered to write the book in clear English to be read by PNG people. It took about a month and the book was finished. I passed the book over to the missionary and never saw it again.

Today in 2016, I went into the Singaut Bookshop in Lae and there was the book on sale. I opened the cover page and there it was "with special assistance from Bruce Copeland". It was published in 1995 and written in special English.

That made my day. I bought the 1998 edition of the book and took it home to my family and school. I read a few pages and noted that it was written in sweet beautiful English. Why do we assume that the work of years ago is not as good as our work today? Please click:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND CHINA Autobiography of J. Hudson ...
www.abebooks.com/LOVE-GOD-CHINA-Autobiography-Hudson-Taylor/.../bd

AbeBooks.com: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND CHINA Autobiography of JHudson 
Taylor in Special English: 132 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment