Tuesday 14 July 2015

DON'T TELL A CHILD TOO MUCH

The traditional family has developed a standard approach to sex education over the last hundred years or so.

Before that time, sex education was not talked about. We grew to adulthood with the image of a small baby being carried in a blanket by a stork. I used to wonder how the stork brought the baby to the right house.

As a growing small boy, I knew the facts of life from about 6 years old from jokes in the school yard, dirty words I learned and general talk among the kids.

As a farm boy, the facts of life became clear quickly. I saw cows being served by the bull and giving birth to calves.

I recall coming into the house one day as an 8 year old to announce to my father that Eddie the bull had just served Phyllis the cow. It had to be recorded in the book. My grandmother was there and my parents were horrified.

Some days later, my father told me the facts of life. He said that God put the baby in the belly of the mother. I just sat quietly. That is not how it was explained by the boys at school. We never spoke of the facts of life again.

We parents need to know that our kids know very much of the facts of life. A few years back, my PNG daughter was growing up and would soon be menstruating. I decided to tell my 11 year old the facts of life.

She stopped me short, telling me she knew all about the menstrual cycle and was one of the last girls in her class. But her dad was useful in going to the shop to buy pads.

Dad, will you buy me pads? How many pages? What? Blank or ruled pages? Don’t be silly dad. Not that sort of pad.

The only time I have talked about the facts of life has been as a teacher of Personal Development in PNG schools for grades 9 and 10. It was a fearsome experience teaching 18 year old boys and girls.

One day I decided to teach the orgasm as part of reproduction. I did it once and never again. It was too difficult and personal. What would I have done if a female student asked how I did it? I would have been struck dumb.

But we have to have sense in giving sex education to children. I was prepared to answer any question of my children. But they never asked. They were ready as they taught themselves and probably got it right.

Before the last PNG election, there was a Government plan to distribute condoms to all school children. I wrote on blog and discussed with my daughters. My younger daughter had to give a talk at school and chose condoms in schools as her topic.

The whole class disagreed with condom distribution. They said that it was giving a wrong idea of promiscuous sex to students.

I would be ready to talk about needs of students. It is disgraceful that gay and lesbian activists want to push gay and lesbian sex education on school kids.

It is educational aggression to push gay, lesbian or any sex on kids when they do not need it. Young kids grow at their own pace and needs.

A small child needs mother, father, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, food, clothes, play and friends. That is where their maturity is at. They do not need a teacher to be telling them about anal sex.

If a student has two fathers or two mothers, that must not become the reason for a detailed explanation of gay and lesbian relationships. Just let it be. The student does not want this.

Activism ignores the needs of kids. Ideology comes before kids. That is not professional.

It is difficult to believe that Massachusetts schools had Gay and Lesbian Appreciation days. Young kids had the horror of being identified as homosexual. This is aggression and breach of confidentiality. Only in the US of A.

And the teachers claimed they did this because of the level of suicide among kids. Any kid who suicided probably did this from the shame of being labelled by half-professional teachers as gay and lesbian.

No comments:

Post a Comment