Tuesday 6 March 2012

MY ROLE MODELS IN LIFE

I talked to the class about role models as part of the Personal Development course and explained by Professor Siaguru.

I started the ball rolling by talking about my role models in life. There have been hundreds of people who have influenced my life. I explained a selection of positive role models in my life.


MY CHILDHOOD CHORES 


Father. He was a positive role model in so many ways despite dying at the age of 53 years. He had a hard life and many personal ghosts.

He was sent out to work as a drover at the age of 11. My father was a boxer who was an army champion of the troop ships sailing to Europe and returning with the Australian Imperial Forces.

He always told me to protect those who cannot protect themselves. I have found myself doing that over my whole life.

My involvement in the PNG national HIV/AIDS response is very much influenced by my father. I was not a good role model in earlier years.

Mother. She was a hard working woman who always protected her children and supported her husband when he was dying.

She would say that his violence was part of his stroke dementia. Just remember him as he was. He still loves you all.

Grandfather. He was a carpenter and furniture maker. His tools were always in immaculate order. His workshop was neat with every tool in the right place. I am not like him but do remember how my tools should be kept.

Paul Shacklady. Of all my school friends in the 1960s, I remember Paul as the most academically gifted person I ever met. His approach to study was immaculate.

He would study by practising tasks over and over again until perfect. His father Tom Shacklady was the bandmaster in the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary band.

At independence, he composed the Papua New Guinea National Anthem. His son, Paul was a study perfectionist.

The Minister in Seventh Heaven. In my old age, I recall the minister in the TV series of the same name. It was the kind and gentle approach to his children that reminds me of how to be a good father.

His family had problems but he never became angry and often talked to each child and reasoned with them. I wish I were more like him.

Now the students have the task of identifying to themselves the key role models in their lives. This is a useful part of Personal Development and Positive Living awareness.


MY FATHER: BAD ROLE MODEL - FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING ...

familypositiveliving.blogspot.com/.../my-father-bad-role-model.html Cached
21 Apr 2011 – I taught my sons to fix engines and helped me to build a house.
I am an adult and I work to teach my children. They do not see me doing wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment