Monday 12 November 2012

START KIDS EARLY TO READ, WRITE AND SPEAK

I seem to have had success with teaching kids to read, write and speak. It all started with my children in Australia. From 1975, I started them on reading the Dr Seuss way.

It started when I was not happy that my first daughter could not read after one year at school. So I prepared a book of exercises.

cat, fat, mat, hat, rat, bat, sat
man, fan, ran, van, tan, can
ball, call, fall, hall, tall
funny, sunny, bunny
day, may, ray, hay, say, lay
play, pray, clay, way
did, hid, lid,
it, sit, fit, bit, hit, lit
fish, dish, wish

and many more.

Then we became creative just like Dr Seuss.

The cat lay on the hat.
See the fat rat on the mat
A man ran to a van with a can.

See funny bunny run to a cat on a hat
The fat man sat on the tall ball
I see the man fall on the mat
I will call the funny cat on the mat
I sit on the lid with a fat cat in the hat.
He eats fish on the dish.

PHONICS WITH DR SEUSS AND CAT - FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING ...
familypositiveliving.blogspot.com/.../phonics-with-dr-seuss-and-cat.h...
3 Oct 2011 – FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING - AIDS HOLISTICS. faith,
hope ... The Cat in the Hat and Dr. Seuss | PHONICS FOR KIDS,
READING ... 11 Apr 2011 .

My Australian children learned quickly to read. My eldest seemed to benefit most and she is now a dentist. Other children are lawyers and a teacher.

My daughters in Papua New Guinea learned English quickly. The younger spoke only Tok Pisin for the first two years while she was away with her mother. Now she can read any text as the result of the Dr Seuss approach.

Both state that English is their first language. I am fluent in Tok Pisin but speak to them only in English.

They are now in Grade 7 and 8 and are moving on in their home language teaching program. Please click:

WRITE SWEET ENGLISH

There are reports on children who succeeded at school. The reason is that parents required their children to read a book a week and write a book review.

I will have to tie my daughters down and get them to do that. Perhaps this Christmas holiday will be the start.

Last year, there was a little girl of 2 years old living next to my family. Her name was MJ and her parents were Filippino and Papua New Guinean. MJ was bright but spoke little English.

Seated at their kitchen table, I would talk to her in a question-answer format. This is a standard language teaching technique. The question format often provides the format for the answer.

Every child in school should be interviewed by the teacher in this way. Other students are given work to do while 5 students are interviewed for 4 minutes each. Every child is interviewed at least once a week.

What is your name. My name is MJ.
How old are you? I am 2.
No you are not. You are 23.
No. I am 2.
Are you sure? Yes.
Your mother said you were 23. She is tricking.
What is your mother's name? Julie.
Is she from the Philippines? No. Papua New Guinea.
Where is your dad from? Philippines.
Do you go to school? No.
Why not? I am too little.
Do you go next year? No.
Why not? I am still little.
Do you have a sister? Yes.
What is her name? Kate.
Where does your daddy work? in town.

These were quite deep conversations for a small child. We would talk again next time with the same basic patterns repeated. Gradually the range of patterns were extended to dozens of responses.

Giving incorrect information helps the child to think and to discriminate true from false. The child learns that everything heard is not always true. You were born in China. No. I was born in Papua New Guinea.

We also went through picture books. She was learning a wide range of basic structures in question-answer format.

I used the same technique to teach Tok Pisin at the RAAF School of Languages.

Kolim nem bilong yu. Nem bilong mi John
Yu man bilong we? Mi bilong Australia.
As ples bilong yu Sydney? Nogat. As ples bilong mi Melbourne.
Melbourne i stap we? Melbourne i stap long Victoria.
Em i bikpela taun? Yes em i bikpela tru.
Em i taun bilong nambis? Yes em i taun bilong nambis.
Yu marit o nogat? Yes mi marit.
Yu gat pikinini o nogat? Yes mi gat.
Yu gat hamas pikinini? Mi gat 2pela pikinini.

Four weeks of question-answer conversations made most students skilled in all basic structures. Then the next step was for the students to do the asking.

Then MJ went to live in the Philippines. My daughters are forever phoning to talk to the family. We were told that MJ went on a TV program and carried a long conversation in clear English.

She was asked how she learned to speak English so sweetly. She said she had a friend in Papua New Guinea who taught her. He was a white man.

No comments:

Post a Comment