Sunday 31 July 2011

FOUR GRAMS OF SALT A DAY IS ENOUGH

Post Courier 1 August 2011

Links between high blood pressure and salt intake have been made for the first time in Australians.

A study of 783 Australians by Deakin University and the Cancer Council of Victoria found that those who ate large amounts of salt were twice as likely to have high blood pressure.

Those who took part had urine samples analysed for sodium and potassium levels which indicate daily dietary salt intake.

They had their blood pressure recorded and were asked how much salt they used in cooking and at the table. Most ate excessive amounts of salt and just 5 percent sticking to the recommended limit of 4 grams a day.

More than 40% were classified as hypertensive or suffering from high blood pressure.

Comment:  My family hardly eats any salt as I always forget to buy. There is no habit of my children in putting salt on their food.

There is always salt in biscuits and tinned food. Our fortnightly feed of fish and chips or chicken and chips gives as much as we need.

Last week, I bought a packet of salt and put a little on the cooked food only to find the kids had done the same.

I can tell I am not used to salt as I could taste salt on my tongue for about 2 days. The secret is not to have salt in the cupboard or on the table. Hide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment