Wednesday 21 December 2011

THE KEY TO TEACHING WRITING

My vision for teaching writing skills from primary school to high school students is to take them through a series of exercises from about grade 4 to grade 12. These would enable the students to progress from simple sentences to the total range of complex sentences.

These would be developed through Mastery Learning, a technique unknown in Papua New Guinea schools. Students practise skills through sequences of exercises until they are proficient. For such skill development from grade 5 -grade 12, there will need to be about 2500 exercises like those below.

Please click:

SUPPORT TO TEACHERS ON MASTERY LEARNING

As students master the skills, they will reinforce the patterns by reading books and writing stories. Students who do well in literacy are those who read a book a week and write a review on what they have read.

With this sequence of exercises, students in any grade could advance at their pace. A motivated grade 6 student could complete the year with mastery of all patterns to grade 8. There would need to be about 800 exercises for each grade like those below:

The exercises below are just a small sample of the exercises that students could complete in the early primary grades. For further information please call Digicel 73325124 Email: positivelivingfamily@gmail.com.

MASTERY SEQUENCES IN
COMBINING SENTENCES

starting in grades 4 or 5.

I lived in a village.
I went to school in town.

I lived in a village and went
to school in town.

Living in a village, I went
to school in town.

I wanted to go to town.
My brother did not want to go with me.

I wanted to go to town and my
brother did not want to go with me.

I wanted to go to town but my
brother did not want to go with me.

I am a highlander.
I come from Mt Hagen.

I am a highlander.
and come from Mt Hagen.

I am a highlander.
who comes from Mt Hagen.

I am a highlander
from Mt Hagen

I live in the town.
I go home each night.

I live in the town.
and  go home each night.

Living in the town,
I go home each night.

My brother goes to school.
His friend goes with him.

My brother goes to school.
and his friend goes with him.

My brother goes to school
with his friend.

He went to the village.
He will come back after the holidays.

He went to the village.
and  will come back after the holidays.


SET 2

I live in Lae.
I work at Nadzab.
I come home each Friday.

I live in Lae
and work at Nadzab.
coming home each Friday.

Living in Lae,
I work at Nadzab
and  come home each Friday.

I live in Lae,
work at Nadzab
and come home each Friday.

I work as a cook.
I buy food at the market.
I prepare the meals.

I work as a cook,
buying food at the market.
to prepare the meals.

Working as a cook,
I buy food at the market to
prepare the meals.

I work as a cook,
buy food at the market
and prepare the meals.

I opened the door.
I went inside.
I wanted to buy food.

I opened the door,
and went inside
to buy food.

Opening the door,
I went inside
to buy food.

He spoke to his friend.
He asked about his sick father

He spoke to his friend and
asked about his sick father

Speaking to his friend,
he asked about his sick father

He sat with his friends.
He discussed the meeting.

He sat with his friends and
discussed the meeting.

Sitting with his friends,
he discussed the meeting.

She walked to the hospital.
She hoped it would not be too late.

She walked to the hospital
and hoped it would not be too late.

Walking to the hospital,
she hoped it would not be too late.

She walked to the hospital.
hoping it would not be too late.

They lay beside the road.
They waited for a PMV.

They lay beside the road
waiting for a PMV.

Lying beside the road,
they waited for a PMV.

They sat under the tree.
They talked about the exam.
They ate their lunch.

They sat under the tree,
talking about the exam and
eating their lunch.

Sitting under the tree,
they talked about the exam.
and ate their lunch.

She heard the baby.
He was crying.
He was hungry.

She heard the baby
crying and  hungry.

He was sick.
He was tired.

He was sick
and  tired.

They were expelled.
They were told they could not return.

They were expelled and told
they could not return.

They were expelled and told
not to return.

She ate apples.
She ate oranges.
She ate pawpaws.

She ate apples,
oranges  and pawpaws.

He was sick.
He was tired.
He was hungry.

He was sick, tired
and hungry.

I saw Paul.
I saw John.
I saw Peter.

I saw Paul,
John and Peter.

It was red.
It was yellow.
It was green.

It was red, yellow
and  green.

He was my brother.
He was my friend.

He was my brother
and friend.


SET 3

He looked out the window.
He saw a ship.
It was on the horizon.

He looked out the window
and saw a ship
on the horizon.

Looking out the window,
he saw a ship
on the horizon.

She opened her eyes.
She smiled.
She went back to sleep.

She opened her eyes,
smiled and went back to sleep.

Opening her eyes, she smiled.
and went back to sleep.

He reached forward.
He took hold of the rope.
He pulled it.
This would make the boat steady.

He reached forward, took hold of
the rope and pulled it to make the
boat steady.

Reaching forward, he took hold of the
rope and pulled it to make the boat
steady.

The girl saw the accident.
She cried.
She tried to rescue the child.
He was trapped in the car.

On  seeing the accident, the girl
cried and tried to rescue the child
trapped in the car.

He did not know what to do.
He called the police.
He reported the accident.

He did not know what to do
and called the police.
to report the accident.

Not knowing what to do,
he called the police
to report the accident.

He reached into the bag.
He took out a knife.
He held it in his right hand.

He reached into the bag
and took out a knife
which he held in his right hand.

Reaching into the bag,
he took out a knife which
he held in his right hand.

He was an old man.
He had a walking stick.
He had a long white beard.

He was an old man
with a walking stick
and a long white beard.

He had no fear.
He rushed into the burning building.
He wanted to save the child.

He had no fear and rushed into the
burning building to save the child.

With no fear. he rushed into the burning
Building to save the child.

It was a lovely day.
The sun was shining.
The birds were singing.

It was a lovely day.
with the sun shining
and birds singing.

She was a beautiful woman
She had long hair.
She had a sweet smile.

She was a beautiful woman
with long hair
and  a sweet smile.

A beautiful woman,
she had long hair and
and a sweet smile.

He had a smile.
He had friendly words.
He welcomed us.

With a smile
and friendly words,
he welcomed us.

She was sick.
She had malaria.
She did not come to school.

Being sick with
malaria,  she did not come
to school.

She was sick.
with malaria
and did not come to school.

Sick with malaria,
she did not come to school.

She was a good queen.
She helped the sick.
She gave money to the poor.

She was a good queen
who helped the sick
and gave money to the poor.

As a good queen,
she helped the sick
and gave money to the poor.

He had no money.
He went to the bank.
He asked for a loan.

Having no money,
he went to the bank
to ask for a loan.

He had no money.
and went to the bank
to ask for a loan.

He was a member of parliament.
He received money.
He funded projects.

He was a member of parliament.
who received money
and funded projects.

As a member of parliament,
he received money
to fund projects.

He gave no word.
He left the house.
He placed a letter on the table.

Giving no word,
he left the house.
and placed a letter on the table.

Without a word,
he left the house
but placed a letter on the table.

He gave no word.
but left the house.
and placed a letter on the table.

He did not speak.
He pointed to the man.
He was standing at the door.

He did not speak
but pointed to the man
standing at the door.

Without speaking,
he pointed to the man
standing at the door.

He did not know it.
He had just found the secret door.
It led to the tunnel.

He did not know it
but had just found the secret door.
that led to the tunnel.

Without knowing it,
he had just found the secret door.
leading to the tunnel.

He did not realize.
He had found the key to the house
It had been lost for many years.

He did not realize.
that he had found the key to the house
that had been lost for many years.

Without realizing,
he had found the key to the house
that had been lost for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment