Sunday 14 October 2012

TOILETS IN PORT MORESBY

There was a report on the blog PNG Attitude of a writer complaining about the lack of public toilets for women in Port Moresby city. It is obvious that the writer is not used to this city. Please click:

Caught short: The sad plight of women with no restrooms

As an older gentleman, I am always in need of going to the toilet. It is never a problem particularly in Boroko. It just takes a little ingenuity and patience. Men have problems too.

There are the toilets in the Brian Bell Building. It just takes a short wait for someone to arrive at the upstairs or downstairs toilet with a key. Just stand quietly and wait. Then move like quick silver.

Toilets are to be found in the Kenmaity fast food. You have to be a customer. I am that 40% of the time. The staff know me so well that they just smile. A can of Coca Cola makes you a customer.

There are toilets in the Big Rooster and Momo fast foods. It does not hurt to buy something once in a while.

There are toilets in the Holiday Inn up the road and the arcade next to the Boroko Post Office. All shops have keys to the building toilet. Next time you go into a shop, ask nicely if they can help you.

Apart from that, there are shady nooks everywhere on the roads where bushes overhang. Some bushes are so thick that a person can step inside and disappear.

I do not work in Boroko. I go daily to the internet shop. If I work, there would be a work toilet. I can always use the key at the internet shop for the Garden City toilet.

I once saw a mentally retarded man almost beaten to death by security officers for urinating down the side of a well known building.

I told them if they did not stop, I would have their jobs. I said that the manager was an old friend. They stopped. But I had no idea who the manager was.

There should be clean useable toilets in all public places. But it is a matter of connection to sewerage systems. People from out of town will find difficulty.

People in the street are quite used to men politely urinating in public places.

No comments:

Post a Comment