Friday 7 October 2011

SAMPLES IN ENGLISH PATTERNS

Mastery Learning in upper primary levels, high schools and business colleges.

The most valuable skill that students can learn is to combine simple sentences into complex sentences. If unable to do that, they will continue to write simple sentence baby talk. This is particularly so with students for whom English is a second language.

Combine sentences

I looked out of the window.
I saw a ship.
It was on the horizon.

Looking out of the window, I saw a ship on the horizon.
I looked out of the window and saw a ship on the horizon.

Make lists

Your duties are to:

a. opening the doors,
b. check the windows,
c. to secure the locks,
d. reporting to the manager.

Your duties are to:

a. open the doors,
b. check the windows,
c. secure the locks, and
d. report to the manager.

You are to do the following:

a. sell apples,
b. sell oranges,
c. sell bananas.

You are to sell the following:

a. apples,
b. oranges, and
c. bananas.

He opened the door.
He looked out.
He saw the fire.
It had started in the forest.

He opened the door, looked out and saw the fire that had started in the forest.
Opening the door, he looked out and saw the fire that had started in the forest.

With ...and

She was a beautiful woman.
She had long hair.
She had white teeth.

She was a beautiful woman with long hair and white teeth.

I have completed grade 10.
I have credits in English and Mathematics.
I have a pass in Science.

I have completed Grade 10 with credits in English and Mathematics and a pass in Science.

Repeat a sentence pattern.

Having spoken these words, he sat down.

Having completed the job, he went home.
Having posted the report, his work was finished.
Having been very sick, she was unable to attend the meeting.

Write a business letter.

I read your advertisement in the paper.
It was the Post Courier.
It was dated 12th October.
The job was for editor.
I want to apply for it.

I wish to apply for the position of editor as advertised in the Post Courier on 12 August 2011.

Stop writing baby talk.

I was born in a village. It was in Morobe Province. I lived with my parents and my two brothers. I went to high school. It was in Lae. I completed grade 10. I was employed by Steamships. I worked for 12 years. Then I went to live in the village.

Born in a village in Morobe Province, I lived with my parents and two brothers. Attending high school in Lae, I completed Grade 10 and was employed by Steamships for 12 years before returning to live in the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment