Friday 30 September 2011

THE CRAFT OF CREATIVE WRITING

On reading the newspapers in Papua New Guinea, I cannot help but marvel at the beautiful writing style of many journalists. I wonder about where they learned such skill.

Did they have national or expatriate English teachers? Were they educated overseas? Did this skill come on the journalism course at the Divine Word University?

They do not write baby talk as we see in high schools these days. They often have complex and beautifully crafted sentences. It is time to pay tribute to such skill in writing.

FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING - AIDS HOLISTICS: MASTERY ...
2 days ago ... WRITE SWEET ENGLISH ..... and stop the baby talk.
In Papua. New Guinea schools, .... Posted by HIV/AIDS: FAMILY
POSITIVE LIVING at ...familypositiveliving.blogspot.com/...
/mastery-learning-by-parallel-structures.html - Cached - Similar

These are the writing skills that I have always focused on as an English teacher in both Australian and Papua New Guinea schools.

I will now take a piece of creative writing and highlight the sweet sentences. At times as an editor, I would take a pen to the work offered to make the prose slightly more simple.

FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING - AIDS HOLISTICS: TEACHING ...
1 Sep 2011 ... FAMILY POSITIVE LIVING - AIDS HOLISTICS. faith,
hope, peace, love, truth, ... TEACHING STUDENTS TO FLY IN ENGLISH.
I was an English ...familypositiveliving.blogspot.com/.../teaching-students-to-
fly-in-english.html - Cached - Similar

MY MUM- MY BEST FRIEND by Poreni Umau

That was the last time I saw mother with her aging white hair outstanding in the crowd.

Tucked under warm, thick blankets, topped off with a Puma coat, I snuggled up under the wooly covers.

Separated by distance, her usual text messages every morning reminded me of her caring and loving nature that knew no boundaries.

My mind grew restless, forcing my shivering fingers to switch the mobile phone on again.

I uttered a silent prayer under my breath in shame for my sudden outburst.

My travels, my health and safety topped her concern list.

Son, I light this lamp at nights to think of you and offer a prayer for your safety.

She encouraged me to bring back stories of my trip which she reads through thick rimmed glasses.

The key to successful writing is to combine thoughts into sentences by use of connector words. The most common words are "and", "with" and the many participles.

I opened the door and went inside.

He stood there with tears streaming down his face and a faint smile on his lips.

Calling to his friends, he ran towards the burning house.

Laughing loudly and shouting to her family, she welcomed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment