Thursday 22 September 2011

ENGLISH SPOKEN AT HOME

In Papua New Guinea, English is the official language. English is the medium of most PNG newspapers. Students need to speak in English at school. But most will not ever do that.

Sanity has come to PNG Education with focus on the vernacular in elementary school. Two periods a week in village language is most appropriate. The sole use of village language at elementary school is madness.

I have two daughters who speak only Tok Pisin among their girl friends. But they speak only English at home. My younger daughter came to me at two years old with only Tok Pisin. I only ever spoke to them in English though my Tok Pisin is of high standard.

Now at 12 years old, my younger daughter speaks fluent English. She reads books and scours the daily newspaper. I used to have her read a report from the newspaper aloud to me and then explain the story in her own words. Her English is of high standard and approaching her first language.

I now have another little girl of 5 years old living with us. She is my daughters' half sister dumped on us by their mother. I am not the biological father. Once she settled in and I grew used to having her around, I started to speak to her only in English. Now after twelve months, her English is halting and accurate.

I am getting used to her snuggling up to me with one of our kids' encyclopaedia stuck under my nose and a demand to be told all about the dinosaurs, fish, sea anemones and tree kangaroos. She is rising in language and general knowledge like her half-sisters.

Where are they? Both are going through Facebook with their mobile phones. Am I a wise dad in buying them an internet mobile phone each or a silly old twit?

Learning at home is where it all happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment