Monday 5 September 2011

TEACH STUDENTS TO EDIT ESSAYS

Students have to polish and repolish essays

This is a basic exercise in editing for upper primary school. Students have to become quite ashamed of mindlessly repeating words in the same sentence or paragraph. A word should not be repeated more than once in a sentence and never more that twice in a paragraph.

My name is Tom. I come from Morobe Province. I was born in a village. The village is near Finschhafen. I have two brothers. We go to a school near the village. I am in grade 6. I want to study at high school. I would like to go to university. I want to become a doctor. I want to help people.

Word count:  I (8) want (3) to (4).

Edit the paragraph above.

My name is John. Born in a village near Finschhafen, Morobe province, I go to school near the village with my two brothers. My ambition is to go on to university to become a doctor and help people.

Word count: I (2) to (2).

Recently I met a young man at Waigani who identified himself as Paul, a past student in my Business Communication class at the International Training Institute.

On asking what he valued most from that study, he said that the key skill was to edit and combine sentences. Paul is now an English teacher at a nearby high school in Port Moresby.

No comments:

Post a Comment